Mar 22, 2010

The formerly Green Valley

Speaking of sewers...

Let's all take a progressive moment to ponder this day,  World Water Day, and focus on the larger civic goal of a greener home and planet.  Water and wastewater, stormwater, flooding, these are big challenges for all human civilization.

New Albany, yeah, big challenges too.  Not the least of which is the fact of living in a "flood plain".  Human activity over the last 200 years here has literally, completely, destroyed everything that nature had built for eons.

I'm ashamed and shocked by the total destruction of our shared eco-system. I'm embarassed to say I'm from New Albany for several reasons, but a big one is it's sheer ecological hideousness.  I've seen more beautiful urban canopies in third world war zones.   Trash is strewn from one end of town to the other.   Our historic urban cemetery is desecrated by the people we pay to take care of it.  I'm outraged the primeveal forest is gone and all the benefits that would have accured to us had it been managed for the benefit of all generations instead of one or two.

Ecological restoration of this place will take super human will and courage.   So, when a resident speaks in public to the need to incentivize conservation, as well as spread the costs of our pollution equitably, and she is humiliated and basically shouted down, well I'm sure I understand why this valley is poisoned.  But it doesn't make the challenge go away.  

Personally, I think the sewer billing system is retarded.  It does in fact discriminate against me for conserving water, et al.  Why?  It seems like a fair question.

No comments: